Posted on

California Law Spurs Companies to Add Female Directors

From the Wall Street Journal:

California last year embarked on a unique social and political experiment in the U.S. What would happen if the government required corporate boards to include female directors?

The answer: Companies would add them in droves.

Ninety-three California-based members of the Russell 3000—an index which includes most public companies on major U.S. stock exchanges—had all-male boards when the law was signed on Sept. 30, 2018, according to Equilar, a corporate governance-data firm. As of this Nov. 22, the most-recent date for which comprehensive data are available, that number had dropped to 17. A few companies have since said that they have added female board members as the year-end deadline for compliance nears.

When then-Gov. Jerry Brown heralded the law as the right thing to do, he also said he expected it to face fierce opposition, and governance experts said the effort could stall amid legal action. Some warned that companies would dip into the same small pool of women who already held board seats, potentially overloading them.

In reality, more than 60% of the women who joined the board of a California company in 2019 had never served on a public company board, according to Equilar.

It took nearly a year for a legal challenge to surface. Conservative group Judicial Watch filed a lawsuit in August challenging the mandate. Another was filed last month by a shareholder of Hawthorne, Calif.-based OSI Systems Inc.

“The law is not only deeply patronizing to women, it is also plainly unconstitutional,” the shareholder suit stated.

OSI didn’t respond to requests for comment. It said last week that Kelli Bernard, an executive at infrastructure and engineering firm Aecom, would join its board.

Read the Full Story Here.

Posted on

Federal Judge Delays Ruling on Watchdog’s Request to Cross-Examine Hillary Clinton on Email, Benghazi Scandals

From Mark Tapscott in the Epoch Times:

“WASHINGTON—Former Secretary of State and 2016 Democratic presidential nominee Hillary Clinton likely won’t know until after New Year’s Day if she and her former chief of staff, Cheryl Mills, will face direct cross-examination under oath by attorneys for Judicial Watch.

U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia Judge Royce C. Lamberth on Dec. 19 delayed his expected ruling on the nonprofit government watchdog’s request that he order Clinton and Mills to submit to the questioning.”

Read more here…

Posted on

Judicial Watch Statement on the Impeachment of President Donald Trump

(Washington, DC) – Judicial Watch President Tom Fitton made the following statement regarding the House of Representatives’ impeachment of President Donald Trump:

There has been nothing in American history that compares to the coup attack that targeted President Trump. It was an abuse of the Constitution. Frankly, the word impeachment should have been replaced with the word coup, because the president was targeted for removal from office for doing his job in asking questions about Ukraine corruption and its ties to Joe Biden, his son Hunter Biden and Burisma. To be clear, the president was also attacked for objecting to the House Democrats’ abuse of his office.

The U.S. Senate should reject this act of tyranny by the House of Representatives. In the meantime, you can be sure that Judicial Watch will investigate the Biden-Ukraine scandal, as well as the Deep State scandals and the illegal spying on the president of the United States. Our republic is at stake.

###

Posted on

U.S. Gives Haiti $21 Million to Bear “Socio-Political Impasse” After Billions in Aid Vanish

It appears that no amount of documented fraud, waste or corruption in Haiti will deter the U.S. government from sending the poverty-stricken Caribbean island huge sums of money. After the 2010 earthquake Congress approved billions of dollars to help the country bounce back but that never materialized, and no one really knows what happened to the money. A costly initiative to build housing failed miserably after the U.S. spent $90 million and tens of thousands of Haitians remain homeless nearly a decade later. The Clinton Foundation and Clinton Bush Haiti Fund also came up with some $88 million for earthquake recovery but Haiti remains a disaster, the poorest country in the western hemisphere.

Before the tremor a federal audit revealed that hundreds of millions of American taxpayer dollars were wasted on reckless Haitian projects with the single largest chunk—$170.3 million—going to a failed port and power plant adventure heavily promoted by Bill and Hillary Clinton. The Clinton-backed power and port venture is the biggest and most expensive failure mentioned in the probe, which was ordered by a Florida congresswoman who at the time confirmed a “troubling lack of progress and accountability” in Haiti reconstruction projects. A decade later many Haitians still live in deplorable, shanty town tent cities and a never-ending epidemic of cholera keeps claiming lives. Where did all that American aid go? Why doesn’t the government have a process in place to assure resources are properly used to help Haitians?

Despite receiving monstrous sums for earthquake recovery, it never materialized in Haiti and the money’s whereabouts remains a mystery. One national news report points out the disconnect between the massive amount of private and public aid and the poverty, disease and homelessness that still plague the country. Now the U.S. government is dedicating more funds to yet another cause on the island; a socio-political impasse that requires $20 million in ongoing emergency food-assistance programs as well as additional money to support humanitarian operations. The funds flow through the famously crooked—and scandal-plagued—United States Agency for International Development (USAID), which is charged with providing economic, development and humanitarian assistance worldwide. This month the agency announced, that it’s kicking in an extra million to provide air, sea and road transport to bring emergency assistance to vulnerable Haitians amidst considerable insecurity.

Besides continuing financial support, the U.S. is also dedicating resources to help the United Nations World Food Programme (WFP) distribute an additional 2,200 metric tons of food to 100,000 Haitians in the coming weeks. The 2,200 metric tons are in addition to 2,000 metric tons of U.S.-funded commodities delivered in response to the country’s perpetual emergency food needs. The multi-million-dollar food assistance project supports the “most vulnerable households with cash transfers and food vouchers, along with activities to strengthen livelihoods and promote key health and nutrition practices,” the agency announcement says. “In addition to food assistance, USAID supports communities in Haiti through funding for interventions in shelter, water, sanitation, and hygiene that helps ensure they are prepared for potential disasters.”

On its Haiti page USAID writes that it is working to build a stable and economically viable Haiti, though challenges remain. “U.S. assistance focuses on long-term reconstruction and development, promoting economic growth, job creation and agricultural development, providing basic health care and education services, and improving the effectiveness of government,” USAID states. Billions of dollars later, it seems the U.S. hasn’t made a dent in Haiti and the money will keep pouring in. According to the Congressional Research Service, a legislative branch agency within the Library of Congress, the Trump administration requested $145.5 million for aid to Haiti for fiscal year 2020.

Posted on

NewsLink: How Judicial Watch Uncovered FBI FISA Abuse

Exposing the egregious misconduct behind the FBI’s FISA Warrant Application, the IG Report prompted FISA Court Judge Rosemary Collyer to openly rebuke the FBI’s practices in the FISA Warrant process. Judicial Watch uncovered the FBI’s FISA abuse as early as July of 2018, when it discovered that the warrant application process to spy on Page and other Trump campaign associates had been based on the false allegations of the Steele dossier, whose unreliability the FBI was well aware of. Read below to find out more about Judicial Watch’s indispensable role in uncovering the FBI’s FISA abuse.

From USA Today:

Judge says the FBI misled FISA court when seeking permission to wiretap a former Trump campaign aide – (12/17/2019)

A secretive court that approves sensitive surveillance issued a rare public rebuke of the FBI on Tuesday, saying the bureau misled the Justice Department and the court when it sought permission to wiretap a former Trump campaign aide.

Read More Here.

From Judicial Watch:

1. Judicial Watch Obtains Carter Page FISA Court Documents (7/21/2018)

The warrants are controversial because the FISA court was never told that the key information justifying the requests came from a “dossier” that was created by Fusion GPS, a paid agent of the Clinton campaign and Democratic National Committee.

Read the Full Story Here.

2. Judicial Watch Forces Disclosure of FISA Warrants Targeting Trump Team (7/30/2018)

President Trump declassified the “Nunes Memo” which discussed the Carter Page Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act (FISA) warrants abuses. And Judicial Watch quickly sued as the FISA material could now be made public. In April the DOJ told the court that it would have something by July 20, last Friday. That day passed, but late the next day, late on Saturday, Justice released a heavily redacted 412-page document.

Read the Full Story Here.

3. The FBI and DOJ Massively Volated the Law (12/9/2019)

Judicial Watch President Tom Fitton: “Today’s IG report on the Russiagate FISA abuse provides abundant evidence that the FBI and DOJ massively violated the law in order to obtain the Carter Page spy warrants targeting President Trump. As IG reports are both exposés and cover-ups at the same time, it is no surprise that the IG punted on implicating senior officials directly in the spy scandal.”

Read the Full Story Here.

Posted on

Scandal Reopens? Court Papers On Democrat IT Aide Imran Awan Make New Revelation

From The Daily Wire:

The Department of Justice said this month that it could not release records on Democrat technology aide Imran Awan due to “technical difficulties,” but later admitted in court documents that it could not release records on him because there is a secret ongoing case related to the matter.

“Judicial Watch filed a Freedom of Information Act lawsuit Nov. 7, 2018, for 7,000 pages of Capitol Police records related to the cybersecurity investigation, and Aug. 2, the DOJ agreed to begin producing records by Nov. 5,” Daily Caller News Foundation investigative reporter Luke Rosiak reported. “That deadline came and went with no records being produced; on a Nov. 13 phone call, the DOJ said ‘technical difficulties’ had resulted in a delay, Judicial Watch stated in a court filing.”

In a newly released court filing, the Department of Justice wrote:

Pursuant to an Order issued by the Honorable Tanya S. Chutkan, who is presiding over a related sealed criminal matter the Government is prohibited from disclosing certain information pursuant to formal and informal information request in this matter. The Government advised Judge Chutkan of the instant FOIA matter and sought clarification from Judge Chutkan concerning the Government’s permissible response in light of her Order in the sealed matter. Defendant received the clarification December 5, 2019, the date of this filing, that permitted Defendant to say the following: The Government is prohibited from disclosing any information pursuant to an Order issued by the Honorable Tanya S. Chutkan. …

…The “difficulties” in providing responsive material was due to the unexpected and unique set of facts described above that was out of the control of the Defendant. Defendant’s only motivation was to maintain the integrity of the sealed matter as much as possible, until the issuing Court provided guidance.

Read More Here.

Posted on

DOJ Refuses To Release Records On Imran Awan, Citing ‘Technical Difficulties’ And A Secret Case, Court Docs Show

From The Daily Caller:

  • Judicial Watch sued the Department of Justice for records about former Democratic cybersecurity aide Imran Awan in order to square evidence of wrongdoing with prosecutors’ decision not to charge malpractices on Capitol Hill.
  • The DOJ said it could not produce records under FOIA because of “technical difficulties,” then said it was actually because of a secret case it had not wanted to mention, according to a court filing.
  • As the lawsuit heated up, a judge appears to have erased information about Awan’s wife Tina Alvi from the record, despite the DOJ itself opposing such a move as highly unusual.

The Department of Justice is withholding documents about the Imran Awan cybersecurity scandal by saying there is an ongoing, secret case related to matter, according to court papers.

Judicial Watch filed a Freedom of Information Act lawsuit Nov. 7, 2018, for 7,000 pages of Capitol Police records related to the cybersecurity investigation, and Aug. 2, the DOJ agreed to begin producing records by Nov. 5.

That deadline came and went with no records being produced; on a Nov. 13 phone call, the DOJ said “technical difficulties” had resulted in a delay, Judicial Watch stated in a court filing.The DOJ later changed its story and said it was actually withholding documents “pursuant to an Order issued by the Honorable Tanya S. Chutkan who is presiding over a related sealed criminal matter,” prosecutors said in a Dec. 5 filing. (RELATED: Fifteen Things To Know About ‘Pakistani Mystery Man’ Imran Awan)

“The ‘difficulties’ in providing responsive material was [sic] due to the unexpected and unique set of facts described above that was out of control of the Defendant. Defendant’s only motivation was to maintain the integrity of the sealed matter as much as possible,” assistant U.S. Attorney Benton Peterson said in the filing.

Awan’s attorney, Chris Gowen, did not respond to a request for information about any ongoing case.

Read More Here.

Posted on

Watchdog Asks Court to Subpoena Google for Records Tied to Mystery Clinton-Tied Gmail Account

From The Epoch Times:

A watchdog group asked a federal judge on Dec. 17 to subpoena Google for records on a Gmail account used to transfer the archive of Hillary Clinton’s emails from her tenure as the secretary of state.

Judicial Watch, a conservative government transparency group, filed the request as part of its yearslong litigation against the Department of State. The group is also seeking an interview with Paul Combetta, the information technology specialist who used the Gmail account to transfer all of Clinton’s government emails to an unauthorized private email server.

Combetta created the Gmail account—[email protected]—in 2012 and used it to test email issues for his clients. The name of the Gmail account, CarterHeavyIndustries, has fueled suspicions that China gained access to all of Clinton’s emails.

An Intelligence Community Inspector General investigator, Frank Rucker, flagged the Gmail account in the metadata of all but four of the emails Clinton’s lawyers handed over to Congress, according to documents released by Sen. Chuck Grassley in August. Rucker became alarmed after searching Google for “Carter Heavy Industries” and coming up with a website for a Chinese company.

The inspectors general for the Intelligence Community and the Justice Department reviewed the matter and did not turn up any evidence to link Combetta with the Chinese company. The inspectors general further determined that the Gmail address ended up in the metadata of virtually every email because Combetta used the Gmail account to transfer Clinton’s emails from a laptop to an email server.

Although the inspectors general appear to have closed the inquiry into [email protected], their report on the matter raised a number of new questions, including why Combetta used such a peculiar name for the account, whether any of his clients’ systems were still connected to the Gmail account, and why hundreds of Clinton’s emails were still in the Gmail account years after Combetta transferred the Clinton email archive.

Read More Here.

Posted on

Judicial Watch To Attend Hearing In Federal Court Amid Ongoing Discovery Into Hillary Clinton Email Scandal

From One America News:

Judicial Watch plans to attend a hearing in federal court, which will decide the direction of their Hillary Clinton discovery plan. On Thursday, U.S. District Judge Royce Lamberth will consider whether Judicial Watch will be allowed to question Hillary Clinton and her top aides under oath about Benghazi as well as her emails.

The government watchdog group will also be asking the court’s permission to subpoena Google in order to gain access to the private account allegedly used by Clinton and her aides. The president of Judicial Watch, Tom Fitton, claims they are pursuing newly discovered evidence in the case.

Read More Here.

Posted on

Fitton: How to Stop Impeachment Now

From Tom Fitton’s Op-Ed for Breitbart:

The fraudulent House impeachment effort has matters exactly backward. President Trump didn’t commit high crimes, he is a crime victim. If anyone should be put on trial in the Senate, it is Rep. Adam Schiff.

The more facts continue to be revealed about the deep state coup attempt against the president, the worse Schiff looks. Justice Department Inspector General Horowitz’s report and hearing testimony last week on the abuse of the FISA process is the latest evidence of the collusion between members of Obama’s FBI and the Clinton campaign to try to destroy Donald Trump.

The IG findings, which further tied the Bureau to promoting the Clinton-funded and wholly fabricated Steele dossier, are parallel to the Mueller investigation’s findings that the Russian collusion narrative was a big lie. Yet this phony narrative became the basis for the FBI to lie to the courts and to the American people, and to break the law to target President Trump.

The current impeachment farce builds on this model, using a manufactured scandal, amplified through the media echo chamber, and orchestrated by one of the central Congressional plotters in Russiagate, Adam Schiff.

The Horowitz report proves what we at Judicial Watch have been saying for some time, that Schiff has consistently lied, dissembled and misled when it comes to the Russian collusion hoax. In 2018 Schiff insisted that the “DOJ met the rigor, transparency and evidentiary basis needed to meet FISA’s probable cause requirement.” We now know that this was not true; in fact the FBI fabricated evidence to get what it wanted.

Schiff said the FBI did not hide relevant or exculpatory information from judges when seeking FISA warrants. This also was false; exculpatory evidence regarding Carter Page was consistently and systematically omitted from the process. And Schiff maintained what all the Russia collusion hoaxsters agreed upon, that the FBI did not rely primarily on the Clinton-funded and 100% discredited Steele dossier to convince the courts to issue the warrants. Again, a total lie; according to the Horowitz report the dossier plated the “central and essential role” in the illicit process.

Schiff’s Russiagate misconduct set the stage for his central role in the Democrats’ Plan B impeachment effort: the Ukraine hoax. But the impeachment by the House can still be stopped by announcing now that Adam Schiff would be required to testify in a Senate mini-trial concerning his role in concocting this scandal.

Read More Here.