Posted on

Sailor shot three people, base says

A U.S. Navy sailor shot three people, then killed himself at Pearl Harbor on Wednesday, officials said, three days before the anniversary of the attack that prompted the United States to enter World War II.  

Two victims are dead and one is hospitalized in stable condition, officials at Joint Base Pearl Harbor-Hickam said. The shooting at the naval shipyard happened at about 2:30 p.m. local time. Military forces responded to the scene and put the roughly 66,000 people who live at the base on lockdown for about an hour.  

The names of the victims, all Department of Defense civilian workers, will be released after family is notified. Officials identified the gunman as an active duty sailor assigned to the USS Columbia.

Hawaii Gov. David Ige said the White House has offered assistance from federal agencies and that the state is also ready to help if needed.

“I join in solidarity with the people of Hawaii as we express our heartbreak over this tragedy and concern for those affected by the shooting,” Ige said in a statement.

Base security and the Navy are investigating the incident, officials said. 

Located on the Hawaiian island of Oahu, the naval shipyard is across the harbor from the Pearl Harbor National Memorial. Japanese imperialists bombed the harbor on December 7, 1941, killing more than 2,300 Americans. Survivors from the attack had already began arriving in Honolulu for commemoration events, the base tweeted.  

The former Naval Station Pearl Harbor combined with the Hickman Air Force Base in 2010, according to the base’s website. Eleven ships, six fixed-wing aviation squadrons and 18 submarines are at the base.  

Contributing: The Associated Press