A shooting unfolded Wednesday evening at Pearl Harbor Naval Shipyard in Hawaii, and the base was put on lockdown, according to the military base.
“JBPHH security forces have responded to a reported shooting at the Pearl Harbor Naval Shipyard. The incident occurred at approximately 2:30 p.m.,” Joint Base Pearl Harbor-Hickam tweeted. “Due to the ongoing security incident, access/gates” to the base are closed.
The Joint Base Security Operations Center, which is the base’s security and law enforcement branch, confirmed the shooting to HuffPost. Public Affairs spokesperson Jackie Smith also confirmed to HuffPost the information in the tweet but could not confirm if there had been any fatalities in the shooting.
Andrew Pereira, the spokesperson for Honolulu Mayor Kirk Caldwell, said that the mayor’s office has been informed that “there is no longer an active threat.”
Witnesses reported hearing four to five gunshots, and there were multiple shooting victims at the base’s Drydock 2, a law enforcement source told Hawaii News Now. The lockdown is still in place but the situation is reportedly contained, according to HNN and Fox News.
The Honolulu Fire Department responded with six units and nearly two dozen personnel, department spokesperson Cpt. Scott Seguirant told HuffPost. Seguirant was unable to confirm any information on victims or a possible suspect.
“We’re there in support,” he said.
HuffPost has reached out to Queens Medical Center, Tripler Army Medical Center and Pali Momi Medical Center. Queens spokesperson Minna Sugimoto said that the hospital’s emergency room was treating at least one patient from the shooting, with their condition unknown. A source with the hospital’s emergency department confirmed that information.
This article has been updated with reports that there was no longer an active threat.
REAL LIFE. REAL NEWS. REAL VOICES.
Help us tell more of the stories that matter from voices that too often remain unheard.